Guyana alerts international community and expresses strong objection to incursion by Venezuelan military vessel near oil ships

Guyana alerts international community and expresses strong objection to incursion by Venezuelan military vessel near oil ships

The Government of Guyana has alerted the international community to threats by the Venezuelan military against various oil production vessels operating in Guyana’s waters.

On Saturday morning, a Venezuelan military ship was spotted in Guyana’s waters traversing close to the various vessels and informing those vessels that they were operating in what the Venezuelans consider to be a disputed area.

In a national address this morning, President Irfaan Ali said the development in Guyana’s maritime territory is serious. The vessel that came into Guyana’s waters has been identified as a Venezuelan Coast Guard vessel.

“This morning, Saturday 1st March 2025, at approximately 7:00hrs, a Venezuelan armed patrol ship entered Guyana’s waters. During this incursion, the Venezuelan vessel approached various assets in our exclusive waters including FPSO Prosperity…our assets and FPSO Prosperity are operating lawfully within Guyana’s Exclusive Economic Zone. The patrol vessel transmitted a radio message declaring that the FPSO was operating in what it terms ‘disputed international waters’ before continuing its course in a southwesterly direction towards other FPSOs. Let me be unequivocal, Guyana’s maritime boundaries are recognised under international law and this incursion is a matter of grave concern. However, I assure your that our government is not acting precipitously, we are addressing this situation with the seriousness and responsibility that it requires”, Ali said.

President Ali with members of the National Security Team in meeting

The incident has rattled workers aboard the various vessels. There are hundreds of Guyanese and other workers on the various vessels involved in oil production offshore Guyana.

President Ali said the Government has already informed the Chairman of CARICOM, Prime Minister Mia Mottley, and its other international partners on the incident. He said the CARICOM Chair is already engaging the Venezuelan Government on the issue.

The President also announced that he has contacted and held conversations with the Leader of the Opposition and intends to meet him later today for a full briefing.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Foreign Affairs has summoned the Venezuelan Ambassador to register Guyana’s objection to the military incursion, and Guyana’s Embassy in Venezuelan has been informed to file an official complaint and objection with the Venezuelan Government.

Guyana has since started increased monitoring of the area in the Stabroek block where the incursion occurred and the Guyana Coast Guard is also expected to dispatch additional teams to the area.

This is the second time in as many weeks that Guyana has had to inform the international community of incidents involving Venezuela. Last week, six Guyanese soldiers conducting patrol duties in Guyana’s Cuyuni river were shot by persons from the Venezuelan side of the border. It is suspected that the assailants are members of a criminal gang that operates in Venezuela.

The Venezuelan Government continues to lay claim to Guyana’s territory although the dispute was settled since 1899, and Guyana currently has Venezuela before the International Court seeking a final juridical settlement on the controversy.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login