Electrical fire guts section of Corriverton market

Electrical fire guts section of Corriverton market

Several stall holders of the the municpal market in Corriverton, Berbice are counting their losses following a fire that swept through the market on Monday night, gutting a number of stalls.

The Fire Service was alerted to the blaze just before 7pm and rushed across with fire tenders immediately, The quick action of the Fire Service resulted in the blaze being contained to a section of the market.

Several vendors and stall holders were seen rushing into the market to save their belongings.

In a statement last evening, the Ministry of Home Affairs said preliminary investigations have revealed that the fire originated from an electric fan that was left plugged into the wall of one of the stalls and switched on, leading to overheating and the eventual ignition of nearby flammable materials.

The Home Affairs Ministry said as the investigation unfolds, the authorities are also diligently working to determine the full extent of the incident.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login