The Government of Guyana has agreed to reinstitute the issuance of the subvention to the International Decade for People of African Descent Assembly – Guyana (IDPADA-G).
In updating Acting Chief Justice Roxane George on the progress made since the matter was sent to mediation, Attorney-at-Law, Vivian Williams said the two sides engaged in a “settlement meeting” on Monday March 20, 2023.
“At that settlement meeting, the parties agreed, and the Government, through the Attorney General reaffirmed commitment to support the work of IDPADA-G for the remainder of the decade, and that, it was agreed that pledge support would be demonstrated by Government providing the subvention which was provided in the past,” Mr. Williams told the Court.
Vivian Williams and Nigel Hughes are representing IDPADA-G in the matter. Williams said the two sides are now discussing the process of implementing the disbursement of the subvention.
He said the meeting ended with a commitment by the Attorney General to review a proposal which was submitted by IDPADA-G on Tuesday.
The State’s Principal Legal Advisor, Shoshanna Lall, who appeared on behalf of the Attorney General today, confirmed that the Government has agreed to reinstitute the subvention.
“There is a commitment in principle to honour the work of the International Decade,” she said.
Lall said while the proposal has been received, the Attorney General, who has been on travel duties for the last three weeks, only saw the proposal when he returned on Thursday.
The proposal has since been sent to the Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Charles Ramson Jr., and his response is pending.
On behalf of the Attorney General, Ms. Lall asked that the matter to be adjourned for two weeks to facilitate further discussions with a view to arrive at a settlement.
Chief Justice George said she is pleased with the progress made so far.
The case will be called again on April 14 for further report.
IDPADA-G moved to the Court late last year after the Government started to withhold its monthly subvention of $8 million that had already been approved in the budget.
The Government accused the organisation of malpractice and misappropriation of funds.
But the organisation rebutted those claims and placed its financial records up for scrutiny.
During an earlier hearing of the case, the Chief Justice said the issue was a national embarrassment for Guyana and should have been resolved before reaching the Courts.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login