The Surendra Engineering Corporation Limited has denied any fraud and financial irregularities with regard to its contract with the Government of Guyana for the construction of the Specialty Hospital.
The company on Thursday afternoon broke its silence over the decision by the Government of Guyana to scrap the hospital construction contract, describing the allegations put forward by the Government of Guyana as “baseless”.
In a media statement, the company said that it received a letter from President Ramotar and the “letter contains certain allegations which we strongly denied”.
The Government of Guyana has accused the Indian construction firm of falsifying documents and providing fraudulent documents that it claimed were from the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago. The Trinidadian Central Bank has reportedly denied ever issuing any documents for the company and the company is now denying that it ever provided any documents from the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago to the Government of Guyana.
“SECL is not aware of the document and has not provided any such document as referred to in the reports in respect of Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago. We hereby reiterate that all such allegations of fraud or financial irregularities are completely baseless and without any merit”, the company’s statement said.
The statement added that the company will be consulting its lawyers to determine future course of any legal action against the Government of Guyana.
“We trust that the Government of. Guyana will not feel pressurized to commit any act or do anything which has the effect of jeopardizing the project either for any political compulsions or for any other ulterior motives”, the company statement added.
Surendra said it is a 40 year old company, which has vast experience and expertise in Engineering and Construction and it has successfully designed, constructed and completed more than 100 Projects in 33 countries worldwide and also completed projects in Guyana. The statement said the “capability of the firm was never in question as is evident from history”.
According to Surendra, during the past two years, it has been working relentlessly for the progress of the Specialty Hospital Project and has invested a huge amount of resources in terms of time, money and manpower, and continues to stay committed to see the project completely through.
“SECL is entitled to recover several million USD from the Government in respect of work done at the site so far. The Government of Guyana is fully aware that the reasons for delay in the project are solely because of its own failure to meet its own obligations under the contract. The stoppage of work was only because of failure or neglect on part of the Government of Guyana from fulfilling its obligations. It is shocking to hear such press reports which can only be interpreted as a desperate attempt on part of the Government of Guyana to wriggle out its stated commitments towards the project. SECL reserves all its rights to pursue all such remedies as may be advised”, Surendra stated.
Filed: 11th September, 2014