Quick action by the Guyana Fire Service averted what could have been a major disaster at a bond owned by the Guyana Chronicle in Lama Avenue, Georgetown.
Firemen were able to douse the blaze in the bond which was being rented out to the Pavnik Press printing company. The same building houses the Chronicle Sports Club and the Boardroom for the state-owned newspaper company.
Though the blaze was contained, millions of dollars worth of equipment and printing supplies belonging to the Pavnik company were destroyed and several parts of the building were badly scorched.
Fire officials believe the blaze was started by a drug addict who was seen earlier near the building, reportedly cooking on a fireside. An investigation has been launched.
Filed: 20th September 2014