An April application to the High Court to resist alleged US fugitive Troy Thomas from being extradited to the United States to face a murder charge has been dismissed.
Justice Jo-Ann Barlow dismissed the application by Thomas’ lawyers today, paving the way for the matter to continue in the Magistrate’s Court on June 26th.
Solicitor General Kim Kyte told NewsSource that she believes the ruling was ‘well-reasoned and sound.”
Ms. Kyte said she is also of the view that the Judge should be commended for making the ruling in such a short space of time. “She read for over 45 to 55 minutes and she must be commended for the decision,” she added.
The applicants were fined $150,000 in cost to the State even as an application for a stay was also denied on Friday.
Kyte said she objected to the application by Attorney Nigel Hughes for a stay, to which the Judge agreed.
Attorneys representing the alleged US fugitive, in an application to the High Court, had asked the Court to make several declarations including one which notes that any attempt to extradite Thomas amounts to a breach of his Constitutional rights.
Thomas’ battery of lawyers wanted the High Court to pronounce on, among other things, that the United States of America (Extradition) Order, does not form part of the domestic laws of Guyana and cannot be enforced by a Magistrate.
According to Kyte, the Judge ruled that the Treaty was incorporated into local laws and the extradition hearing could go ahead.
Thomas is wanted in New York in connection with the 2011 murder of Keith Frank in the same New York area.
The two reportedly had a confrontation outside a nightclub when Frank was shot multiple times. Thomas was identified as the assailant, but he reportedly moved to Guyana just after the incident and has not traveled back to the United States over the past seven years.
The US issued an arrest warrant for him earlier this year after receiving information that he was hiding out in Guyana.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login