PME confirms Carbon Monoxide poisoning as cause of death of persons found in Mini-bus

PME confirms Carbon Monoxide poisoning as cause of death of persons found in Mini-bus

Post mortem examinations were carried out this morning on the bodies of the three persons who were found dead in a locked mini-bus along the Mabura trail on Sunday. The PME found that all three persons died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The three victims have been identified as Leon Achee, who was the driver of the bus, and his two passengers, Reeva Bovell and Vincent Fausett.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless but dangerous gas, which is produced when fuels such as gasoline, natural gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal are burned.

Breathing in carbon monoxide reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen and could prove fatal.

The mini-bus with the three persons, was on its way to Georgetown when it reportedly got stuck in a slush of mud at 28 Miles, Mabura along the roadway, which is known as the Mabura Trail.

It is suspected that after the driver could not get the bus out of the mud hole, they decided to sleep in the bus until the break of dawn, when the road becomes much busier and help would be available.

The windows of the bus were found locked with the air conditioning on. However, the exhaust of the bus was stuck in the mud and it is believed that the poisonous fumes, which could not make its way out the exhaust, found its way back in the bus, killing all three persons in their sleep.

The Police on Sunday confirmed that there were no marks of violence on the bodies and as such, foul play was ruled out.

In a statement today, the Ministry of Public Works reminded of road works that are being done along the Mabura trail and encouraged drivers to be careful, especially in the rainy season. The Ministry also extended its condolences to the family of the three persons who lost their lives.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login