The Office of the President on Saturday announced that over 20,000 Public Servants and Members of the Disciplined Forces have been granted wages and salaries increases for 2014 ranging from 5% to 8% of their wages and salaries as of December 31, 2013, retroactive to January 1, 2014.
According to the release, Public Servants and Members of the Disciplined Forces earning above $50,000 monthly wages and salaries as of December 31, 2014 will be granted an across the board increase of 5%, while those earning less than $50,000 monthly as at December 31, 2013 would be receiving 8% across the board increase, retroactive to January 1, 2014.
“In addition, teachers earning less than $50,000 monthly as at December 31, 2013 are being granted an additional 3% across the board increase, on top of the 5% increase already paid to them in keeping with the multi-year agreement concluded with their Union, bringing their total increase to 8%, retroactive to January 1, 2014” the release said.
The Office of the President said circulars have already been issued to effect the payment of the increases on the wages and salaries for 2014.
The Guyana Public Service Union has been very critical of the government over the pasts years for its imposition of the increases without any negotiation.
On Friday, word began to spread within the public service that the increases would be 5% and 8%. Many public servants have voiced disgust over the small increase.
Filed: 29th November, 2014