An afternoon fire at a house in Freeman Street has claimed the life of a 48-year-old woman, whose charred remains were discovered when firemen doused the flames.
The Guyana Fire Service was summoned to the house just after 1 o’ clock this afternoon and firemen were able to contain the blaze to the small wooden house.
The dead woman has been identified as Arlene Moses.
She lived in the house with her nephew but she was reportedly the only one at home at the time of the blaze.
The woman’s nephew, Dillon Moore, said he was at work, when he received a call from a cousin telling him that his home was on fire.
He said he rushed across to the scene and was confronted with the blaze.
Moore was unable to save anything, and only realised that his aunt had perished in the blaze when the fire was completely doused.
He explained that his aunt is a shopkeeper and would usually be at home by herself, taking care of her small shop, which was attached to the same house.
The shocked young man said he is unaware of what might have caused the fire.
However, News Source understands that firefighters believe that the woman might have fallen asleep and left her gas stove on.
The stove appeared to have been left on and was located close to the back of the house. The woman’s body was also found in the back of the house.
An investigation is underway.