The 7th cycle of Continuous Registration by the Guyana Elections Commission commences on Monday, December 1, 214. In a statement, the Commission said the decision was taken unanimously at the 431st Statutory Meeting of the Commission which was held on October 14, 2014 to embark on the 7th continuous registration process.
The new registration period will run up until February 21, 2015.
According to the Elections Commission “anyone who will be 14 years or older by March 31, 2015, and is a Guyanese citizen by birth, descent, naturalization, or is a citizen from a Commonwealth country living in Guyana for one year or more, is eligible for registration during this exercise.”
See information on how you can get registered below as provided by GECOM
During this registration exercise, persons who are eligible for registration are required to visit the Registration Office that is responsible for their areas of residence to apply for registration. Such persons must be in possession of the following source documents as might be necessary to support their applications for registration:-
1. Original Birth Certificate issued by the General Register Office or a valid Guyana Passport
2. Original Marriage Certificate (and original birth certificate) – in the case of a name change by way of marriage.
3. Original Deed Poll and original Birth Certificate – in the case of any change of name by Deed Poll.
4. Original Naturalization Certificate issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs and original birth certificate/valid passport – in the case of naturalization. Evidence (photocopy/duplicate) of an application having been made for naturalization will not be accepted.
Baptismal Certificates, expired passports, photocopies of relevant documents or letters from Priests, Elders, Head Masters, Village Captains/Toshaos and Justices of the Peace or existing ID Cards WILL NOT be acceptable as source documents for registration.
All persons who will be eligible for registration, but are not in possession of the relevant supporting document(s) stated above are urged to take immediate steps to acquire the said documents in order to facilitate their respective registration during this Continuous Registration exercise.
Persons who were already registered could, if necessary:-
· Apply for a name change in the case of the change of name(s) by marriage or Deed Poll, since they were registered, or
· Apply for correction(s), if there is incorrect information on their National ID Cards.
- Apply for a transfer if they have changed their addresses since they were last registered;
Additionally, persons who are already registered could:-
· Request that their photographs be retaken, if the quality of the photograph on their ID cards is unacceptable, or
· Collect their new ID cards if they have not done so as yet.
GECOM has 28 permanent Registration Offices located in all of the ten Administrative Regions. You are required to visit the Registration Office that is responsible for the registration of persons in your area of residence to apply for registration or uplift your National Identification Card if you were previously registered and you have not done so as yet. The Registration Offices are as follows:-
· Mabaruma Registration Office
· Port Kaituma Registration Office
· Moruka Registration Office
· Charity Registration Office
· Anna Regina Registration Office
· Parika Registration Office
· Poudroyen Registration Office
· Diamond Registration Office, Area ‘M’ Diamond
· Soesdyke Registration Office, Soesdyke NDC Office
· South Georgetown Registration Office
Action Tyre Building, Croal & Smyth Streets
· North Georgetown Registration Office
Former Prime Time Building, Church St., Georgetown
· Transfiguration Church (Annex) Mandela Avenue
· Sheriff and William Streets Campbellville Registration Office
· Coldingen Registration Office
· Better Hope Community Centre
· Mahaicony Registration Office
· Fort Wellington Registration Office
· New Amsterdam Registration Office
Kaitano Building, Princess Elizabeth Rd, New Amsterdam
· Kildonan Registration Office
· Corriverton Registration Office
· Bartica Registration Office
· Kamarang Registration Office
· Mahdia Registration Office
· Paramakatoi Registration Office
· Annai Registration Office
· Lethem Registration Office
· McKenzie Registration Office
· Wismar Registration Office
The office hours during which persons could apply for registration/collect ID cards are:
· Monday to Friday 09:00hrs to 13:00hrs and 14:30hrs to 18:00hrs
· Saturdays from 10:00hrs to 14:00hrs.
The offices will be closed on Sundays and holidays
Section 6 of the National Registration Act, Chapter, 19:08 makes it obligatory for persons who meet the registration criteria to apply for registration. Persons eligible for registration could be prosecuted, fined and/or even sent to prison for failing or refusing to apply for registration. In the case of eligible persons under the age of 18 years by the qualifying date, the parents/guardians could be prosecuted for failure/refusal to apply for registration.
It is the civic duty and legal responsibility of all Guyanese who will who meet the eligibility requirements to apply for registration during this Cycle of Continuous Registration. By so doing, they would be ensuring that they are included on the official lists of electors for future elections, if they meet the other eligibility criteria, and be issued with National ID cards.
Filed: 30th November, 2014
You must be logged in to post a comment Login