(SKNVIBES) CHARLESTOWN, Nevis – POLICE on Nevis are investigating the death of a Guyanese national, who is said to have committed suicide by ingesting a poisonous substance.
SKNVibes was told that the suicide victim is a Guyanese national of East Indian ancestry known as Oma Devi Balgobin and was residing in Low Street, Charlestown.
Information reaching this publication indicated that sometime on Sunday (Sept. 6) Balgobin had ingested a herbicide known as Gramoxone and was found dead in her home on the following afternoon.
She was an employee of the Agriculture Department in Nevis and had been working at the Abattoir for a number of years.
Speaking with an individual who is acquainted with the Balgobin family, this media house was told that “it is not known what had led Devi to do that”.
The individual however reminded of a similar situation that occurred some five years ago when Balgobin’s son had lost his life.
On the morning of March 17, 2010, Balgobin’s 15-year-old son Yudesh Persaud was found hanging from a tree close to their home in Cane Garden.
It was learnt that he had committed suicide and, according to a family friend, the mother had since removed to Low Street “because living in Cane Garden was giving her too many bad memories”.
The Balgobins have not been the only Guyanese nationals to have committed suicide on Nevis.
On Wednesday, March 11, 2009, Shawn Chatram, a gardener at Government House, had found his wife Shakiela hanging from the rafter of the patio of their Stoney Grove home.
Chatram, who disclosed that his wife had clinical depression tendencies, told SKNVibes that he believed she had taken her life between 2:30 and 3:00 p.m. after he returned to work at 2:00 p.m.
And on the morning of May 4, 2010, 31-year-old Shivpaul Balgobin of Bath Village died at the Alexandra Hospital after reportedly ingesting a poisonous substance two days earlier.
A family member had told this media house that Balgobin and his girlfriend had a dispute and that may have led to him committing suicide.
“He and his girlfriend had a quarrel on Saturday shortly before he left to go and work at his father-in-law’s farm. I understand that while at the farm, which is situated in Bath Village, he drank some Gramoxone around mid-day and left for his home.
“When he got home, he went and lay down in a hammock and his girlfriend saw that he was frothing from the mouth. She immediately called the police and they took him to Alexandra Hospital. He was admitted and they tried to save his life, but I got a message that he died at approximately 5:00 this morning,” the relative said.
Efforts to contact senior officers on Nevis for a comment were futile. This media house however learnt that they were all engaged in a very important meeting with the High Command in St. Kitts.