A two-storey house at Shell Road, Kitty was completely gutted by fire this morning, leaving a number of persons homeless, but neighbours grateful to the Fire Service.
It was just after 9 o’ clock on Monday morning that one of the tenants of the house bolted from the property after hearing a loud explosion and seeing fire ripping through the building. The young woman lived in the bottom flat with a roommate.
There are reports that another woman who lived in the top flat of the building was seen leaving the property just before the fire started. The woman is believed to be mentally unstable and it is suspected that she may have caused the fire.
At first, there was concern that she may have been trapped in the building but then she was found alive and well in a nearby area.
Neighbours only recalled hearing the explosion and seeing the fire just after.
Many of them were high in praise for the quick response of the Fire Service. The house was a back house which surrounded by four other properties. The Firemen were able to restrict the blaze to the one building.
The tenants were unable to save anything from the burning building. An investigation has been launched.