More than 60 workers of the Russian managed, Bauxite Company of Guyana, have been fired over their strike action last Friday, according to sources at the company.
One worker told News Source that a list of the workers to be dismissed has been compiled and they are being told to visit the offices at the company. The workers are refusing to uplift dismissal letters.
Several workers walked off of the company’s bauxite mining operations in the Berbice river area last Friday to protest the imposition of a 1% increase on their salaries.
On the day of the strike, the workers were threatened that if they were to continue the strike action, they would all be fired.
Since then, several of the workers have reportedly been told that their services are no longer needed and they needed to leave the company’s location.
The Chief Labour Officer has made efforts to meet with the company. The company has not turned up for any of the meetings so far, but are likely to meet with the Union and the Chief Labour Officer in the coming days.
Meanwhile, the Guyana Bauxite and General Workers Union believes the government needs to get involved.
In a statement over the weekend, the workers union complained that the company has been flouting local labour laws and best practices.
The Union said the current and previous governments have both failed over the years to challenge the way the company has been addressing issues of concern to its workers.
The union now wants the President himself to intervene in the matter.