Police investigators on the West Demerara in the La Grange area are looking into the death of a 1-year-old boy, who passed away after being rushed to the Georgetown Hospital yesterday.
The dead child has been identified as Andre Tappin. He was taken to the hospital after being fed with carbon tablets which are used as a rat poison.
“There was no hope”, a source familiar with the case said.
According to reports, the baby would usually be left in the care of the older brother whenever the mother was busy with household chores.
News Source understands that the brother reportedly became upset with the regular task of taking care of his baby brother and decided to feed the child with the rat poison.
Moments after the child ingested the poison, he started to vomit and that got the mother’s attention. It was then that the 10-year-old reportedly admitted what he had done.
The baby was rushed to the hospital, where doctors were eventually forced to pronounce him dead after he gave his last breath.
An investigation is ongoing.