Acting Police Commissioner David Ramnarine has confirmed that local police have detained two men who are suspected to be linked to last Friday,s high seas attack off the coast of Suriname that left more than a dozen fishermen either dead or missing.
Acting Police Chief David Ramnarine said the two were picked up on the southeastern Corentyne coast across the border river with Suriname on today.
The arrest came following a tip off from Surinamese Police.
“We are not yet sure about their direct involvement but based on the information given to police on Suriname from survivors, we made the arrests,” Ramnarine said, adding that “We are investigating and we have the two men in custody.”
Most of the crews of five vessels which were attacked in waters between Suriname and French Guiana are believe to be Guyanese nationals.
Families have scrambled across the border to be in the capital either for word about their loved ones or to bury their dead as bodies have begun to wash up on the coast line in Suriname.
Five survivors of the attacks have been talking about the harrowing experience of being dumped overboard by the pirates and being left to die.
Earlier on Thursday, Police officials in Suriname also arrested a suspect there, even as reports surfaced of another pirate attack in Surinamese waters.