The Ministry of Housing and Water has issued an ultimatum to squatters who have taken upon residence within the Cummings Lodge New Housing development.
In a statement, the Ministry indicated that it has already served final contravention notices to the 11 occupants asking them to immediately vacate the area as development works are ongoing.
“These development works will benefit hundreds of first-time homeowners and these illegal structures are impeding the rare the which these works are being done. Failure to comply on or before Saturday, April 10, 2021, will result in action being taken”, the Ministry warned in a statement.
In the meantime, the Housing Ministry said it is currently earmarking a suitable area within the vicinity for the relocation of the 11 households occupying the lands.
The Housing Ministry said in August last year 22 structures were observed in the area with 11 being occupied, as a result a demolition exercise was carried to remove the unoccupied structures.
Further, the Housing Ministry said that last year a contravention notice was issued to the persons occupying the units and 6 of the 11 occupied households visited the Central Housing and Planning Authority to express their concern over the notices issued. A meeting was later held, and the occupants were offered alternative shelter but that that offer was refused, the Ministry said.
The Government is expected to roll out a number of housing and development projects for the Cummings Lodge area this year.