The Director of Public Prosecutions will launch a Coroners Inquest into the March 15 shooting death of three “suspected” bandits along the seawall road by Police ranks.
Minister of State Joseph Harmon made the announcement on Thursday and said the inquest will be done in keeping with provisions of the Coroners Act.
The announcement came one day after President David Granger said that his government had given the Police Commissioner clear instructions for investigating the circumstances under which the men met their demise.
Just after the shooting, the Police in a statement said men were killed during an exchange of gunfire after they trailed a customer who had just exited a city bank with a large sum of cash and attempted to carry out a robbery on the seawalls.
But family members have challenged the Police report with claims that the men were executed by the Police.
An eyewitness who has since provided a written statement to the Police, told reporters on Monday that he was working on a rooftop when he saw one of the three men being shot by Police after he had already come out of his car and was beaten by the same Police.
The inquest can be conducted by a Judge, Jury, or Government official and may or may not require an autopsy carried out by a coroner or medical examiner.
A Post Mortem Examination by government Pathologist revealed that the men died from gunshots. One man had ten gunshots, while the other two had over six.
“It is my opinion that on any occasion where there is the death of a person by unnatural means that it should be investigated particularly in the Defense and Police Forces”, President Granger said on Wednesday.