An elderly East Coast Demerara resident lost his life this morning in a fire that completely gutted his wooden house.
The fire was reportedly started by an unattended kerosene stove.
The dead man has been identified as 76-year-old old Charles Brown of Church Road, Bachelor’s Adventure, East Coast Demerara.
Persons in the area said the fire started just after 8 o’clock this morning but quickly engulfed the small wooden house. The elderly man was the only person at home.
His cousin Collicia Payne said she rushed across to the scene after an alarm was raised in the village, but it was too late to save her cousin or anything in the building.
“Well, this morning when I was about to carry my son to school, all I heard was shouts of fire, so when we turned back, I saw my cousin’s house was on fire and my big cousin was inside the house.”
She said several persons tried to help but were prevented from doing so by the heavy flames.
“Everyone run but no one could get to go in the house because within 10 minutes the whole house was on fire, quick quick, so no one couldn’t get anything because the whole house, the bedroom was also on fire”
Brown lived with a younger male cousin and another relative who took care of him. Both were out at the time of the fire.