Two days since Attorney-at-Law, Nigel Hughes dispatched a letter to President Irfaan Ali requesting witness protection for Police Sergeant Dion Bascom, President Ali today said he is yet to see that letter.
Sergeant Bascom last week made a series of public disclosures on social media in relation to the alleged improper conduct of the lead investigators who were charged with the responsibility of investigating the murder of Ricardo Fagundes which occurred in March last year.
Bascom alleges a major police cover up in the crime. He has since implicated a city businessman, one of his security agents and his colleagues in the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
The president said he believes a professional investigation needs to be done, but is still to see the letter that was sent to him.
“In this particular case, I have made it clear that everything must be done professionally. To be honest I have not seen the letter as yet, I am not saying the letter was not sent I have not seen it as yet, I have not addressed my mind to the letter, because I have not seen the contents but I don’t shy away from addressing these issues, “ the President said.
Bascom’s Attorney Nigel Hughes said the letter was sent to the President’s office on Monday and signed as having been received by his office.
Questioned directly on whether he will be granting the request for witness protection, the President said he must first see what is being asked of him and will make a decision. He said he is not opposed to granting the protection to Mr. Bascom.
“I won’t say that I am against it, I have to see what is the content of the letter, what is the nature of what I being asked for but as I said this system must provide an even platform for everybody, it must provide a socially just platform for everyone and in that context I will make my decision,” President said.
Speaking directly to Bascom’s allegations the President said he has been updated by the Police. He said he has been told that the Police has started to engage its international partners in relation to the case.
“The Police has been working with international partners on this case also. I can’t get into the details that’s for the Police but I know they have been working and seeking help from international partners for specific aspects of this case,” the President said.
Acting Police Commissioner Clifton Hicken has already rubbished Bascom’s claims as “ unfounded”. The Police Office of Professional Responsibility that was tasked with investigating the matter has indicated that it has already completed its probe and the file was sent to the DPP for advice.
Bascom on the other hand has maintained that he is not letting up and can substantiate his claims.