The remains of two persons were found this morning as Fire investigators and the Police went through the debris of an early morning fire that gutted a Chinese supermarket and several other businesses at New Road, Vreed-en-hoop.
The identities of the two persons who perished in the fire have not been ascertained, but they are believed to be Chinese nationals who lived in the same building with the recently opened supermarket.
Police Commander, Snr. Superintendent Linden Lord, told News Source that the Police were alerted to the fire at 1:50 this morning and immediately summoned the Fire Service.
He said the Fire Service arrived on the scene within minutes but the blaze was already ripping through the wooden buildings and shops.
At least four buildings were completely gutted by the fire. It is believed that the fire started in the supermarket and quickly spread to the buildings on its left and right.
A Chinese restaurant on the right-hand side of the supermarket was gutted, while a popular boutique, clothing store and electronics store to the left were also completely leveled by the fire.
The Fire Service was able to use a nearby canal as a water source and that assisted the firemen in containing the blaze and keeping it away from the nearby Regional Democratic Council office.
Persons in the area told News Source that at the supermarket where the fire started, some of the Chinese nationals also lived there. One resident said in many instances they would be seen doing there own electrical work and running wires in and around the building. He said would not be surprised if the fire might have been caused by a faulty electrical issue.
An investigation is underway.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login