The Guyana Fire Service is continuing its probe into last evening’s fire at Cross Street Werk-en-Rust which gutted a two-storey wooden apartment building, which was owned by 74-year-old Joan Bowman.
In a statement this afternoon, the Fire Service said based on information gathered so far, it appears as though the fire was caused by a lighted candle that was left unattended and fell onto combustible materials in the house.
The Fire Service was summoned to the scene at around 8:55pm on Thursday and dispatched a number of fire tenders in response.
The fire quickly moved through the old wooden building and the fire service was able to restrict the blaze to the one building, saving nearby buildings.
However, the complete destruction of the apartment building has resulted in 12 persons being left homeless.
The Fire Service is encouraging homeowners to install smoke detectors and other fire prevention equipment in their homes.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login