Two young boys died tragically early Friday morning as fire ripped through the Children’s Drop-in Centre on Hadfield Street.
The two boys believed to be ages 4 and 2, reportedly got trapped in the blaze as caretakers were rushing to get them out. They are believed to have been brothers.
According to a security guard who works nearby, it was just after midnight, when a loud sound was heard in the top flat of the two-story building close to the electrical fuse boxes. She said the fire appeared to have been triggered by an electrical problem.
Initial reports state that there were 30 children housed in the building at the time and they were all asleep when the fire started. The caretakers in both flats, quickly hurried the screaming children out of the blaze. The two boys who perished lived in the top flat and may have gotten trapped as the older one was trying to help the younger one out. The fire service arrived promptly at the scene and was able to restrict the blaze to the top flat and a section of the lower flat.
The drop-in centre is managed by the Child Care and Protection Agency and caters for was recently refurbished and rehablitated. Director of the Agency, Ann Greene, who was at the scene, described the event as more than a tragedy.
The children who were rescued from the blaze were taken to another drop-in centre this morning. Six years ago, there was a fire in the same building. (Royan Abrams photo)