Guyana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs has expressed the government’s concern to the government of Trinidad and Tobago over the high number of Guyanese nationals who have been refused entry into the island over the past 4 years and the Guyana Ministry of Foreign Affairs is even more concerned that the persons are being listed as deportees by the Trinidadian authorities.
For this year alone, over 200 Guyanese were refused entry into the twin island Republic. In the past four years, over 700 Guyanese were refused entry.
At a press conference on Monday, Foreign Affairs Minister, Carolyn Rodrigues Birkett said she has raised the issue with her counterpart in Trinidad and Tobago.
Earlier this month, Trinidad’s attorney General announced in that country’s parliament that Guyanese have topped the list of deportees from the island.But the Guyana Minister of Foreign Affairs said that based on her ministry’s figures, those numbers may represent persons who were refused entry and as such she does not believe they ought to be classified as deportees.
The Minister said the current situation may pose a long term problem for the integration movement in the region.
Filed: 23rd December, 2014
2 Responses to "Guyana worries over number of persons refused entry into Trinidad"
You must be logged in to post a comment Login